Saturday, June 18, 2011

Feeling grateful

I had a really beautiful conversation with a dear friend the other night that is still rattling around, and the more I think about it the more grateful I am for the truth of it. We were talking about my work, and he was saying to me that he thinks sometimes my life focuses too much on trauma. I told him that he was missing the point: my work- and my life- is not about the fact that traumatic things, namely sexual violence and an abusive relationship, happened to me. It's about the fact that the miracle of RECOVERING from those things is happening. My life is not about going back to being shamed in the corner for shit for which I am not responsible. It's about reaching out to others who are still cowering there and pulling them into the light to join me in recovery- be it from food, from sexual violence, or from self-destructive behavior that so often follows sexual violence. So, so grateful.

Sometimes the most beautiful things grow out of mud and muck.

No comments:

Post a Comment